Breastfeeding After a Mastopexy (breast lift) Surgery: What You Need To Know

In Nashville

By Alton Ingram, MD

Woman Breastfeeding
Explains that the chances of not being able to breastfeed after a breast lift surgery are low. Also guides women to talk about nipple placement with their surgeon before having a mastopexy procedure if they do plan on breast feeding at a later date.

A Mastopexy-more commonly referred to as a breast Lift procedure is a cosmetic surgery that is designed to lift and reshape the breasts. It involves removing excess skin, repositioning the nipples, and reshaping the breast tissue. The sagging breasts can be caused by genetics, weight loss or previous breast feeding. If you’re considering a mastopexy surgery, you might be questioning if it will affect your ability to breastfeed afterwards. While this is an important question to consider before going through with the procedure, it is possible to breastfeed after having a breast Lift procedure.  Here are some important things to know about breastfeeding after a mastopexy. 

The Procedure and Its Effects on Breastfeeding 

This procedure involves removing excess skin and tissue, reshaping the breast, and repositioning the nipple and areola higher up on the chest wall. During the surgery, incisions are made around the nipple and areola, a vertical incision from the bottom of the areola to below the crease of the breast as well as horizontal incision along that same crease line. It’s important for patients to know it does not involve removing any of the milk ducts or glands in the breasts but these incisions may cause temporary damage or scarring which can interfere with milk production in some patients. 

While there is no guarantee that you will be able to successfully breastfeed after having this procedure, the majority of women do so without any issues whatsoever. One study found that among women who had a breast Lift procedure and attempted to breastfeed afterwards, 63% succeeded in doing so without any problems at all. The remaining 37% did encounter some complications such as insufficient milk supply or trouble latching their baby onto their breasts due to nipple positioning changes caused by the surgery. 

It’s important not to worry too much if you plan on having this type of procedure done before childbirth — most patients have few problems breastfeeding after undergoing a breast Lift. Some women choose not to have their nipples moved during this procedure as well. Most surgeons agree that if you do plan on having children shortly after the procedure, that it’s best to not move your nipples during this procedure because it could lead to potential difficulties for lactation. If you do decide against having your nipples repositioned during your mastopexy and instead choose just to reshape your breasts with no alterations made near your nipples or areolas, the chances are high that you won’t experience any difficulties with breastfeeding after giving birth!

Patients interested in having a breast Lift should keep in mind that while this type of surgery can potentially interfere with lactation in some cases, many women still go on to successfully breastfeed their babies post-surgery without any issues at all! However, if you do plan on having children soon then it’s best not to move your nipples during this surgical procedure since this could lead to possible difficulties for lactation after birth. Ultimately, speaking with an experienced cosmetic surgeon about any concerns prior to your procedure can help you make an informed decision before moving forward with any kind of surgical procedure.

What Should I Expect During Recovery? 

Most women are able to return home shortly after their breast Lift procedure and resume light physical activities within a few days of their surgery date. However, it is important to note that recovery times vary based on factors such as age, health history, and how extensive your surgery was. It’s also important to keep an eye on any changes in how well you are able to breastfeed after having a mastopexy; if you notice any issues with latching or difficulty letting down milk while nursing post-surgery then speak with a lactation consultant right away so that they can provide assistance and advice on how best to proceed going forward.

If you are considering a breast Lift procedure, Dr. Ingram would love to meet you with you to help answer any questions related directly to you. Give our office a call at (615) 431-3710 to schedule a consultation at our office in Nashville TN.

Dr. ingram looking good with a nice suit | Ingram Cosmetic Surgery Nashville

Contact us today!

Schedule a Consultation

If you’re interested in a consultation with Dr. Ingram, we welcome you to fill out our contact form. One of our friendly coordinators will get in touch with you shortly to schedule your one-on-one visit.


Call Email Results